GENESIS. Photographs by Sebastião Salgado
A photographic journey across the five continents to document with fascinating black and white images, the rare beauty of our most important, unique and precious heritage: our planet.
On Twitter: #genesisalgado
Promoted by Roma Capitale, Assessorato alle Politiche Culturali e Centro Storico – Sovrintendenza Capitolina and the Chamber of Commerce of Rome under the patronage of the Ministry for the Environment, Land and Sea, made by Amazonas Images and produced by Contrasto and Zètema Progetto Cultura, curated by Lélia Wanick Salgado,
Genesis will be premiered in Rome and will be held at the same time in other capitals (London, Rio De Janeiro and Toronto). From these cities it will reach all major cities of the world. Genesis is presented with the support of Vale, Brazil.
Genesis is a long-term photographic project, in line with the main bodies of work carried out previously by Sebastião Salgado; for example, the series of reportages presented in Workers or the series on the theme of the population movements around the world, that appeared in Migrations. This new project is about our planet earth, nature and its beauty, and what remains of it today despite the manifold destruction caused by human activity. Genesis is an attempt to portray the beauty and the majesty of regions that are still in a pristine condition, areas where landscapes and wildlife are still unspoiled, places where human communities continue to live according to their ancient culture and traditions.
Genesis is about seeing and marvelling, about understanding the necessity for the protection of all this; and finally it is about inspiring action for this preservation.
The exhibition is divided into five sections dedicated to the geographical areas Salgado has photographed: the South, The Shrines of Nature, Africa, the Far North, the Amazon and the Pantanal.
Warning: Use of images
Permission to use images for the online promotion of the exhibition Genesis. Photographs by Sebastião Salgado is permitted under the following conditions:
- The six images distributed by Zètema and Contrasto press offices can be used only and exclusively to review the exhibition Genesis. Photographs by Sebastião Salgado;
- The pictures can not be cropped, manipulated or altered in any way and must be clearly stated on copyright as follows: © Sebastião Salgado/Amazonas Images
From 15 May to 22 September, 2013
Tuesday-Sunday: 9:00 - 19:00;
Thursday: 9:00 - 22:00;
Last admission 1 hour before closing time.
“Museum + Exhibition” combined tickets:
- Adults: € 16,00;
- Concessions: € 12,00;
Roman Citizens only (by showing a valid ID):
- Adults: € 15,00;
- Concessions: € 11,00;
School groups: € 4,00;
- Adults: € 8,50;
- Concessions: € 6,50;
Roman Citizens only (by showing a valid ID):
- Adults: € 7,50;
- Concessions: € 5,50;
- Adults: € 10,00;
- Concessions: € 8,00;
- School groups: € 4,00;
- Family: € 22,00;
- Young people up to 26 years
- Adults over 65 years
- Journalists with press card (professionals, practitioners, freelance)
- police and military officers
- RomaPass card-holders (3rd entrance onwards)
- Children up to 6 years
- Disabled visitors and a carer
- European Union Tourist Guides
- Tourist interpreters from the European Union
- Members of ICOMOS, ICOM, ICCROM, Accademia dei Lincei, Istituto Studi Romani, Amici dei Musei di RomaICOMOS,
- RomaPass card-holders (1st and 2nd entrance)
Infoline: tel. +39 060608 (daily, 9.00 – 21.00)
- Groups (max 30 visitors): guided tours are available either for the museum and/or exhibition. A booking service is available for groups (max 30 visitors) for an additional booking fee of € 25,00;
Educational resources for all
- Schools (max 30 visitors): guided tours are available; booking is required for the admission.
Educational resources for schools
- Booking for individual visitors is available only when purchasing online tickets. If you book in advance you can skip the line by going directly to the ticket window.
Tel. +39 060608 (daily, h. 9.00 - 21.00)
Additional booking fee: € 1,00.
Roma Capitale, Assessorato alle Politiche Culturali e Centro Storico – Sovrintendenza Capitolina; Camera di Commercio di Roma
With patronage of:
Ministero dell’Ambiente e della Tutela del Territorio e del Mare
Contrasto and Zètema Progetto Cultura
Civic Museums Sponsors: Acea; Banche tesoriere di Roma Capitale: BNL Gruppo BNP Paribas, UniCredit, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena; Finmeccanica; Lottomatica; Vodafone
Atac; La Repubblica